How do I become an immigration lawyer in Utah?

  • December 28, 2022


If you want to become an immigration lawyer in Utah, it’s important that you understand the process. There are different levels of licensure for federal and state judges, but all require passing a bar exam and passing a background check. You can also choose between being self-employed or working for an attorney referral service (like me).


To be an immigration lawyer in Utah, it’s important to have a JD degree (Juris Doctor) from an accredited law school. Most states require that you graduate from an ABA-approved law school and pass the bar exam by passing written and/or oral examinations. The ABA has strict requirements for the accreditation of its schools which include:

  • An educational program that includes instruction in at least two areas of primary coursework (e.g., civil procedure; corporate law);
  • The faculty must have at least three years of teaching experience or research experience;
  • Enrollment must be limited to full-time students who are pursuing their undergraduate degree or its equivalent on a part-time basis; and
  • Faculty cannot be employed by any other entity during their time at the institution except as part-time adjuncts who teach only one course per semester

Bar Exam

The bar exam is administered by the state bar association and consists of a written test. It’s graded on a curve, so your score can be higher or lower than other people who took it.

The exam covers topics such as immigration law, criminal law, and procedure, professional responsibility, and ethics—all things you’ll need to know in order to practice immigration law successfully in Utah.


You must be licensed by the Utah Bar Association before practicing law in this state. You can find information about getting a license on the Utah State Bar website, which also has detailed information about the licensing process and requirements for each type of lawyer’s license.

The most common types of lawyers who practice in Utah are:

  • General Practitioners (GPs) – These attorneys primarily handle medical malpractice cases, wills and estates, probate matters, health care disputes, and other general legal issues. They often represent clients in small claims court as well as trial court proceedings such as divorces or child custody disputes; however, they cannot represent anyone against their will unless their client agrees otherwise (i.e., refusing representation). GPs must pass both the Multistate Professional Responsibility Exam (MPRE) and The Bar Examination before being admitted into practice; those who fail either exam may retake them once per year until they pass with an overall score between 75% – 100%. After passing these tests successfully once within three years under one’s own name or as an alternate representative member under another attorney/law firm name(s), one can take another MPRE exam approximately six months later without having any negative effects on their overall score due to failing earlier exams within three years prior despite taking additional time off during this period since taking both MPRE tests together increases knowledge gained from studying materials provided by National Conference Of Legal Education Board (NCLEB).


If you have a passion for immigration law, we would love to talk with you. Our team at Law Offices of Ben Benson is dedicated to helping you pursue your dreams of becoming an attorney in Utah. To learn more about how we can help, please contact us today!